Friday, September 4, 2009

RSS and Web 2.0 tools



After watching the clips from week 1 about Web 2.0 tools, I feel as though they will be useful to my future teaching methods. These tools will help me to keep myself organized and teaching in an effective and efficient manner.

Web 2.0 tools are ways of social-networking. One example are these blogs that we created for the class. Not only do they allow us to document what we learn each week, but we are able to follow along with other members in our groups and class to see what they learn each week as well.

RSS is one easy way to keep up with different websites. One example is google reader. It creates a place where you can keep track of several different websites all in one place. I really liked the analogy the first video on the course website used when comparing RSS to netflix. Instead of traveling to the video store to spend lots of time pouring through all the different movie selections, you can now just have netflix send you the all the videos you want. It saves money but most importantly time. It's efficient in its method. Like netflix, RSS allows you to view all the current posts from several places at once to save you the time of looking up each one.

I think that these tools will be useful in my teaching and even now. Instead of pulling up 5 different windows or tabs to check my email, blog, facebook, blackboard, bank account, etc., I can just view it all in one place.

The most useful thing I learned this week was how to put together a website. After a lot of time (seriously....) and many meals later, I finally figured out the "source" button and what it actually did. I think this was the most useful thing I learned because I didn't know how to do it previously and it was really challenging!

Here's the final result!!!: http://rienasinternetcommproject.pbworks.com/


my synchronous video chat:












my asynchronous video:


No comments:

Post a Comment